You’re almost ready to meet your brand new baby. Be sure to tick these off your checklist before you do.
WORDS CHIA YING MEI
1. Put the finishing touches on your baby’s nursery. Ensure it’s just the way you want it.
2. Get an appropriate baby carrier and/or a stroller ready. These are essential for keeping your hands free.
3. Learn how your body prepares for labour. Know what you’ll be going through. Arm yourself with the knowledge to do what needs to be done to safely deliver your baby.
4. Ensure you have enough clothes for the baby. Don’t just stock up on newborn sizes as they grow really quickly! Make sure you have enough outfits in the next couple of sizes up too.
5. Decide on a birth plan. Whether you want to undergo a scheduled c-section or have a drug-free labour, be sure to discuss your birth plan with your gynaecologist.
6. Pack your hospital bag. It’s almost time to go to the hospital, so make sure you’re ready to grab and go.
7. Install the baby car seat. Be sure it’s backwards-facing for maximum safety.
8. Ensure you have the necessary phone numbers at your fingertips. You don’t want to be scrambling for your doctor’s after office number while you’re in the throes of labour!
9. Prepare for how you want to feed your baby. Do you have a breastfeeding pillow and breast pump? What about newborn milk bottles and teats? Perhaps a can of your preferred formula?
10. Make sure you have the supplies you need. Diapers in newborn size, a tube of diaper cream, a mild baby soap, burp cloths, a diaper changing mat and a small tub for baths are some of the baby care essentials you’ll want to have on hand. Granola bars and other nutritious snacks that you can easily eat with one hand are good to have too.