Tips to Prevent Unintentional Poisoning

Children act fast…so do poisons. Be sure to take the necessary precautions to keep your little ones safe.

 

Energetic, inquisitive children will often explore—and sometimes try to eat or drink—anything that is within their reach. Fortunately, there are ways we can help poison-proof our home and protect the children we love.

 

  • Warn children never to eat or drink medications, vitamins, chemicals, plants or berries without your permission. Warn your children at an early age that pretty items can be harmful.
  • Store all medications — prescription and non-prescription — in a locked cabinet, far from kids' reach. Even items that seem harmless, such as mouthwash, can be extremely dangerous if ingested in large quantities by children. Just because cabinets are up high does not mean kids cannot get their hands on what's in them — they'll climb up (using the toilet and countertops) to get to items in the medicine cabinet.
  • Open and take all medicines only in a well-lighted area. Read all product labels and follow instructions carefully each time you give your child medicine. Mistakes are most likely to happen late at night, so make sure you turn on the light and read the label before giving the medicine.
  • Never store poisonous substances in food or beverage containers. For example, never put mouthwash in a mineral water bottle. Children may not realise the familiar looking bottle contains a poisonous substance.
  • Never store medication in another container as you might forget what the contents are later and give the wrong medicine.
  • Do not take anyone else's prescription medication (another sibling’s) or give your prescription medication to your child.

 

Thanks for sharing!